10 December 2006

 

Movement towards Linux?

Ecommerce Times asks an interesting question. "Is now the time to move to Linux?"
The answer to this very may be yes. Linux is not the technical geek OS that it used to be (or at least not all distributions are) For people still learning computers Linux or Windows both would involve the same amount of learning. For more experienced users looking for a more stable environment with less viruses and other worries, it's definitely an option. For new or experienced computer user looking for complete freedom on their computers, it's definitely the only option.
I first got interested in Linux in the late 90's but never made a complete switch until June of 2006. I didn't switch because of hating Windows or any similar reason, I switched because of the power Linux gave me. I could work a lot more efficiently than I could in Windows. The multiple desktops allowed me to organize my work a lot better. Some Open Source applications helped my organize my life better than I could manage in Windows. Being able to modify and create command line commands, made it faster to get and sort all of the information I need and want with even less work. Also the applications that come standard in Linux helped to secure my network and communications as well as monitor my network status.
Of course those who are happy to live inside a box and do things a standard way without having options to other methods and shortcuts, Linux will never be the choice. More than anything Linux and the Open Source community are about the freedom to use your computer the way you want.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?